Saturday, January 28, 2017

I, Robot

Where to start? The film over-reached, and the payoff is pretty poor.

The setup in the 1st act was so-so, and the 2nd act had one of the most uninteresting fast-moving action sequences in recent cinematic history for me. The 3rd act was entertaining from a visual effects perspective, but it was never quite integrated well enough to get me to suspend my disbelief.

The Susan Calvin I remember from reading Asimov's Robot stories and novels would have been much more cold and clinical, and Bridget Moynahan was not up to the task. Hell, Bridget got hotter as the movie progressed, and that should have never happened. Will Smith has very little to work with, and it shows scene after scene.

Of course, I groaned as I saw Akiva Goldsman's name scroll up in the end credits. I should have known.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C (I'm being kind).

No comments: