Sunday, January 29, 2017

Ong-Bak

I saw this film today. I thought it was shot a little too dank and dark for my tastes, but the action is pretty jaw-droppingly amazing. Tony Jaa's eye-foot coordination is crazy insane. After awhile, though, I think I suffered fatigue from all the martial arts action as it got to be a little too repetitive and cartoony at times, plus the multiple angle replays seemed to throw off the momentum of the action sequences.

There are quite a few good laughs that develop from the action sequences, and chase scenes. Sometimes, the action felt like videogame martial arts action in its intensity and brutality (as in "They'll definitely leave a mark" variety of blows and kicks).

The forces at play are a little too stark in good and bad, but as a vehicle to show off Tony Jaa's skills, it's not bad.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

No comments: