Saturday, January 28, 2017

Friday Night Lights

Finally got a chance to see this film, and I was glad I didn't read the book, or any plot details, because I got hooked into what would develop for this high school football team given the setbacks it faced, and how luck plays a part in the game of life, not just in football.

How fleeting is the moment in time to create lasting high school sport memories? The film captures that aspect very well, and in spite of giving one's all in that moment, life lessons, large and small, are imparted with the speed of a blitzing linebacker meeting a running back in the backfield.

A common criticism of the film is the lack of character development, but I think the team development was emphasized more, while also addressing the different types of self-doubt and issues from these high school football players. For its running time, I think the film was cut down to basics to focus on 4 main players and how their home life shaped their play on the field.

I recommend it for fans of sports films, and especially football films.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

No comments: