Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Phantom of the Opera

I thought this adaptation from the stage to the cinema for "The Phantom of the Opera" was a little on the long side, clocking in around 140 minutes, I did think the 3rd act was pretty good, but the middle act just sort of sags with an unfocused narrative pushing the story along.

I disliked Gerard Butler's singing voice as the Phantom, and with the mask on, he reminded me of John Travolta. I also wanted more operatic singing from the Phantom, but Butler's gravelly rock voice wasn't as pleasing to the ear has the rest of the cast. If that was Emmy Rossum's voice, then I'm pretty impressed, very nice, pure voice, pleasing to the ears. Usually I can't stand Minnie Driver, but her hammy/diva-like Carlotta was pretty funny. Patrick Wilson's singing voice was adequate, nothing outstanding, though.

So, good opening act, slow 2nd act, but the 3rd act is pretty involving.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

No comments: