Sunday, January 29, 2017

Cindrerella Man

Well, I was "in" this film from the get-go, no nodding off from me. Nowadays that counts for something for me, as truly uninspiring films will have me tune out within the first hour, but that didn't happen with me in this film and its 2 hours and 20 some odd minutes.

I may have known the outcome of the fight at the end, but consciously repressed it, and the fight was pretty amazing at capturing the raw intensity of a true underdog against some mighty tough odds. I caught myself ducking and dodging during some of the punches that landed or missed. That's when you know you are into the fight that is on the screen.

Is there a magical moment in this film, not really a huge one, but there are a lot of small little moments of fortitude that propel the storyline and offers enough nuggets to become involved in the story of a perceived over-the-hill boxer with 3 children and a wife during the depression era, and somehow he not only gets a last minute swan song of a chance, but a series of chances to reach the pinnacle of his profession, that of boxing. Can you over-value how inspirational Braddock's rise of the top was for the people during the depression era? I think Ron Howard was able to balance it without going over the top with the allegories, while providing the viewer with a concise tale of Braddock's seemingly unbelievable story in the early 1930's.

Crowe looked pretty credible as a pro boxer, and the fights were staged convincingly, and many punches were landing when they were thrown. Zellwegger's role of a supporting wife is okay, she gets a few good scenes of standing up for herself and her family, but it is a supporting role that doesn't draw huge attention to itself. Giamatti is the spark of the film when he's on the screen, it's another good supporting turn for him as well.

Overall, I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

No comments: