Sunday, January 29, 2017

Beyond the Sea

As a director, Kevin Spacey is average, and I felt he just didn't have a good grasp what would make for a satisfying viewing experience. I found his direction boring, even the musical numbers at times because the camera angles just don't have a finish to them, or were placed in the wrong spot for the scene, the camera moved awkwardly or not at all, relying on zoom cuts instead.

As a singer, Spacey's got a good voice, and is entertaining. Can't say I didn't enjoy those scenes that features him singing Darin's tunes. The film itself is a bit of a jumbled mess, trying to be artsy in spots as the story jumps around without sufficient payoff for such choppiness, all for the sake of being edgy, I suspect.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

No comments: