Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Hunger Games

I thought the film was okay, with the first 2/3 of the film more compelling than the actual "Hunger Games" in the final act of the film.  I didn't think the film did a good job with characterizations, but like most of the Harry Potter films, it's a nice companion piece to the actual books.  Having not read the book, I didn't have enough information to fill in the characterization holes that the book(s) obviously fill in.  When the actual games commence, I found some plot developments to stretch credulity when it came to survival of certain characters, and why ruthless characters didn't take opportunities to be ruthless at certain moments when it was opportune to do so.  It focused far too much on Katniss's predicament when other characters should have been fighting for their own survival amongst the rest of the tributes.  It just seemed to be inattentive screenwriting where characters are plot devices and not characters with their own internal motivations.  I dislike that sort of screenwriting in this sort of film where it should be every person for themselves, as there is only one victor in the annual Hunger Games.  This is why the 3rd act just didn't do it for me, it was just too "meh" of a conclusion.  Of course, it didn't help that I did have foreknowledge of 2 more books in the trilogy, so some of the dramatic tension wasn't all that high (doubt it was all that suspenseful for those who had read the book).   I just wished it had a stronger 3rd act.

But even with my misgivings of the film's concluding act, the film's pacing was good for most of its running time, with solid casting, though I've been told Jennifer Lawrence was probably too old and well-fed to play the part of Katnisss, but sometimes you just have to put in someone with acting ability and push on with the movie-making.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.  I suspect those who read the books will grade it somewhat higher, which is perfectly fine.

No comments: