Thursday, March 2, 2017

Rush

Ron Howard takes on Formula 1 racing, and uses the rivalry between Niki Lauda and James Hunt from the mid-1970s to tell the tale of competition between 2 drivers who are oil and water in their philosophical outlook on life, but live to race and win championships, with Hunt being the party dude who races on instinct and innate abilities, while Lauda being the more nose-to-the-grindstone achiever in racing and setting up race cars.

I think I'd like the film a little more if the animosity level was higher, though it would border on boxing or WWE scripted antagonism if not handled well. Showing the different ways Hunt and Lauda approached life helped a bit, but I never felt the storyline was truly compelling. Plus I think I wanted more racing footage from either driver's point of view, rather than the choices Ron Howard made. I did like the bits of grain that was in the film to give it that 1970s feel.

So, overall I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-. It just never really hits a satisfying note towards the end.

No comments: