Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Titanic in 3D

While I've seen bits and pieces of Titanic as it showed up on cable TV here and there, and having seen it in its theatrical release 15 years ago once or twice, and on my dts LD (also in bits and pieces), with fond memories of the basic story, the acting performances, and the sheer spectacle of tragedy at hand, I was not prepared for this 3D presentation (non-IMAX, unfortunately, as my nearest IMAX theater is wasting its IMAX showings on some Titans movie) to continue to move me to tears in the appropriate spots after all these years.  The power of Titanic lies in its humanity, showing us the best and worst of it in the face of overwhelming fear and disaster.   The film not only entertains, but enthralls, it places you on the Titanic in 1912, and the 3D presentation helps with immersing you in that world just a little bit better, you simply slip on into the galley doors, and become part of it all.  Not only is the 3D presentation a welcomed element, it very  much augments the atmosphere from scene to scene without calling attention to itself.   My viewing was nice and bright (i.e. not hazy in sunlit scenes), and I didn't experience any eye strain while viewing through the RealD glasses.  It's 3D-conversion done right.  But I'd expect no less coming from James Cameron and his team.  Well done.

I think it's great that a younger audience is getting a chance to experience Titanic on the big screen (with 3D being a nice bonus this time around), as it is nearly a timeless film going forward (except for older Rose's age dating the film), which can be enjoyed for decades to come.

I give it 4 stars or a grade of A.

No comments: