Friday, March 3, 2017

Step Up: All In

Not going to mince words, I watch the Step Up film to see some of the folks who showed up on "So You Think You Can Dance" and see how they perform in a big ensemble, and to enjoy the dance numbers. The plotlines they string along, requiring a bit of acting to push forward to get to the dance numbers, will always be average at best, so I give it a pass. At the end of the day, if I'm not bored by the dance numbers, or the intended humor content, I leave the theater happy.

For for the latest installment in the "Step Up" franchise, we get some returning Step Up veterans and some fresh blood, and the mix is decent to good. There's always the underdog elements to these films, and the plots always mine those bits to produce some nice dance numbers. Plus, I didn't mind staring at Briana Evigan once again.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+ (See it at matinee pricing if it's still playing, if you like this genre).

The actress playing Alex Bravva reminded me so much of Michele Pfeifer in her younger years.

No comments: