Friday, March 3, 2017

American Hustle

I enjoyed "American Hustle", got caught up in the fine storytelling of building up the pairing of Irving (Christian Bale's character) and Sydney (Amy Adams' character) in the beginning as they team up for some small-time loan-sharking plays, though I did find this narrative shift when Richie (Bradley Cooper's character) enters the picture, which left Irving in the dust for a while, creating a more duck-like character (serene on the surface, passive, but paddling like crazy under the water line). I liked the callbacks to Scorsese's signature stamp of movie-making, and editing and swirling interests between the main players. It fits the style of story being told.

Performances all-around (well, maybe Louis C.K. is a little under the level of the rest of the cast) were solid. But I don't think any of them will take home an Oscar this year. But I enjoyed this yarn as performed by many from the "Silver Linings Playbook" cast from last year.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

No comments: