Tuesday, April 8, 2008

American Idol season 7 - Top 8 finalists

Michael Johns - "Dream On" It was all right, but felt more karoake than sincere, plus, just too much screaming at the end, he should have picked a better song.

Syesha Mercado - "I Believe" I believe her performance was over-produced and the sounds collide with disharmony and made for a bland performance.

Jason Castro - "Over the Rainbow" After listening to Jason blowing the falsetto bit in the opening stanza of the song, no lie, my mind wondered how my 401K was doing. I really didn't think much of his vocally weak rendition of this song.

Kristy Lee Cook - "Anyway" Vocally, it was fine, she got off a nice long note without the Carly-screaming factor. She stills needs to work on her habit of closing her eyes when she sings because it's off-putting at times.

David Cook - "Innocent" Maybe it was me, but it sounded like his mic was mixed really poorly because I wasn't hearing some of the words he was singing, and his performance was stilted in spots.

Carly Smithson - "Show Must Go On" The mic mix was off, though the power screams were again icky sounding, and the performance was kind of bumpy given her attitude she brought to the song.

David Archuleta - "Angels" He is back on track, the start was a bit boring, but the finish was pretty strong.

Brooke White - "You've Got a Friend" I thought it was tortorous, Brooke was over-singing, over-emoting, just plain over-did most of it.

----------------

Rankings

Enjoyable
David Archuleta

Solid but could have been better
Michael Johns
Kristy Lee Cook
Syesha Mercado

Under-performed
David Cook
Brooke White

Once was enough
Carly Smithson
Jason Castro

I think or Jason Castro or Carly Smithson is going home.

No comments: