Wednesday, February 20, 2008

American Idol season 7 - top 24 - top 12 gals roundup

Kristy Lee Cook - Wow, thoroughly underwhelming performance (totally wrong song choice that did not suit her vocal stylings), plus she made these strange wide-eye movements that didn't help matters. It's unfortunate for her that she was under the weather because it really weakened her vocal presence and she basically receded into the background as her performance limped to the finish.

Joanne Borgella - Not too entertaining of a performance, and her vocals remained a little too screechy in spots as her vocal range is tilted towards the high end, without much bottom end to her vocals. It's true that as she tries to sing louder and higher, her vocals get smaller instead of expanding. Makes me mad that they passed on Cardin for her. Grr...

Alaina Whitaker - Hey, now that's a nice performance, full of youthful vigor and a decent amount of range. Somehow AI found a way to clone Carrie Underwood, but a pop version of her, but it works. She's got a nice stage presence in terms of personality while she sings (just looks like she's having a great time while singing, which engages the audience), so I think she's a top 6 girl to watch. I think she'll have a good birthday tomorrow.

Amanda Overmeyer - Imagine crossing somewhat drunken Britney Spears with Janis Joplin, and you get Amanda, the Rock Nurse. She rocks harder than Robbie Carrico ever thought about rocking, and probably has bigger balls (metaphorically speaking) than half the male contestants this season. The performance was more of a "can't miss" viewing in terms of predictability, where her style and gloss over-shadowed the song itself, so from that POV, she put her own stamp on it. Don't think she'll be a great recording artist, but her live performances promise to be interesting and fun to watch.

Amy Davis - It sounded like her vocals were a little flat in spots, and went "pitchy" in the longer notes, which resulted in a frayed-sounding performance. Not a song that gave her a shot to showcase her talent. Not sure if she was under the weather, but I'd be surprised she makes it to the top 6 girls, just not quite good enough.

Brooke White - love the tone of her voice, she's got a good stage presence in terms of inhabiting the spirit of the song, too. She's got a good recording artist voice as well, so I hope she goes far because she's one to watch and listen.

Alexandrea Lushington - Totally nailed her song with a controlled but energetic performance. I was eating dinner at the start of the song, but I quickly quit chewing and just listened to and watched a really fun performance. She's another one to keep an eye out on, I think she's a shoo-in for the top 6 for the girls. Simon missed the boat on her. I do wonder if she's got an extra octave in her vocal range, though, but she did make it look really easy tonight on the stage. I think she's more a live performer than a recording artist, though. Atlanta represent.

Kady Malloy - I thought she had a solid vocal, with just a couple of stumbles, but there is so much potential in this gal. The judges got a little carried away in the personality department (but see Alaina Whitaker for someone who's comfortable with who she is, and it shows). She's definitely got a recording artist voice (it's so elastic with boundless possibilities, I suspect), and just needs a little more stage work to balance the live performance aspect for her total presentation. When she gets her head on straight, she'll be a force to be reckoned with. Looking forward to her making it to the top 6 gals as well.

Asia'h Epperson - Apparently she was born without the "H" in her vocabulary, but she's a good, infectious, good-feeling, stage performer, and injects the song with her own distinctive raspiness that provides a nice R&B slice to the song. But she's not someone whose voice I'd want to listen to for any length of time, that's just me, though.

Ramiele Malubai - Enjoyed the second half of the song moreso than the first half (just too damn slow), but she's got some pipes with good control and a nice lilt at times, but I feel it's better suited for live performances than the recording studio because it's not an instantly recognizable voice to my ears. I want to hear her sing a more uptempo song just to see if she can keep up the pace.

Syesha Mercado - she's got the big guns in terms of vocals, a really wide range, and a really strong singer, but is it enough? Will she succumb to diva-ville? I want to like her more, but there's something that leaves me a little cold about her singing. I also wonder if she can handle the intimate, low-key songs as well. Time will tell. I think she leans more toward being a better live performer than recording artist.

Carly Smithson - I thought she started out well, got that Anne Wilson vibe, but she over-sang the second half of the song and it got a little sordid for me. I didn't like how her mic went in and out with her holding of it, it undercut the notes to me. I think she could be a better singer if she had just a little more restraint so that she doesn't over-reach for the big long notes. I wish I enjoyed it more, but I didn't.

My initial rankings, but it's a grab-bag for the top 9, but the bottom 3 are pretty set for me at this point:

Enjoyable:
Alaina Whitaker
Ramiele Malubai
Syesha Mercado
Brooke White
Alexandrea Lushington
Kady Malloy

Undecided
Asia'h Epperson
Carly Smithson
Amanda Overmeyer

Disappointing
Joanne Borgella
Kristy Lee Cook
Amy Davis

I think Amy Davis and Joanne Borgella are going home.

No comments: